aurweb 4.6.0 release preparations

Lukas Fleischer-2
Hi,

Since the AUR ToS documents are still being reviewed and I do not expect
any major progress within the next couple of weeks, I would like to
release 4.6.0 before the documents are polished (against my original
plans to synchronize the aurweb release with the ToS release). Apart
from proper ToS support, the current development version includes some
nice features such as Markdown support in comments as well as some bug
fixes.

There is one change, namely commit d9883ee (mkpkglists: Generate a list
of user names, 2017-08-01), which might be a bit controversial as-is. It
extends the public interface to provide a list of user names (just the
account names, no real name). Some members of our team expressed their
concerns with making such a change without informing all registered
users. Therefore, I would like to send an automated email to all
registered AUR accounts, informing them on the change and giving them
the chance to opt-out of the feature by deleting their accounts (all
accounts with any kind of activity already reveal their user names, so
people potentially concerned about making their user name publicly
visible do not need their accounts anyway).

Here is a draft:

    Dear AUR user,

    The next aurweb release, which will be released on 2017-12-03,
    includes a public interface to obtain a list of account names of all
    registered users. This means that, starting on 2017-12-03, your user
    name (only the account name you specified when registering, not your
    real name) will be visible to the general public.

    If you do not agree to this change, please delete your account by
    logging into the AUR web interface, going to your account details
    page and clicking the account deletion link before 2017-12-03.

    Thanks for using the AUR!

    The AUR Development Team

If have any objections/improvements, please let me know.

Regards,
Lukas

Re: aurweb 4.6.0 release preparations

arch dev mailing list
> Lukas Fleischer <[hidden email]> hat am 2. November 2017 um 18:23 geschrieben:
>
> Here is a draft:
>
>     Dear AUR user,
>
>     The next aurweb release, which will be released on 2017-12-03,
>     includes a public interface to obtain a list of account names of all
>     registered users. This means that, starting on 2017-12-03, your user
>     name (only the account name you specified when registering, not your
>     real name) will be visible to the general public.
>
>     If you do not agree to this change, please delete your account by
>     logging into the AUR web interface, going to your account details
>     page and clicking the account deletion link before 2017-12-03.
>
>     Thanks for using the AUR!
>
>     The AUR Development Team
>
> If have any objections/improvements, please let me know.

Maybe the email could include a note that the deletion is permanent? It's already mentioned on the profile page, but a reminder wouldn't hurt to avoid requests from users who "accidentally" deleted their account.

Alad

On Thu, 02 Nov 2017 at 20:14:35, Alad Wenter via arch-dev-public wrote:

> > Lukas Fleischer <[hidden email]> hat am 2. November 2017 um 18:23 geschrieben:
> >
> > Here is a draft:
> >
> >     Dear AUR user,
> >
> >     The next aurweb release, which will be released on 2017-12-03,
> >     includes a public interface to obtain a list of account names of all
> >     registered users. This means that, starting on 2017-12-03, your user
> >     name (only the account name you specified when registering, not your
> >     real name) will be visible to the general public.
> >
> >     If you do not agree to this change, please delete your account by
> >     logging into the AUR web interface, going to your account details
> >     page and clicking the account deletion link before 2017-12-03.
> >
> >     Thanks for using the AUR!
> >
> >     The AUR Development Team
> >
> > If have any objections/improvements, please let me know.
> >
> Maybe the email could include a note that the deletion is permanent? It's already mentioned on the profile page, but a reminder wouldn't hurt to avoid requests from users who "accidentally" deleted their account.

Sounds like a good idea to me. I will add another sentence "This
deletion is permanent and cannot be undone." to the second paragraph.

Lukas

aurweb 4.6.0 release preparations (v2)

Lukas Fleischer-2
Hi again,

Here is a second version, based on some feedback I received on the
mailing lists and via private emails:

    Dear AUR user,

    The next aurweb release, which will be released on 2017-12-03,
    includes a public interface to obtain a list of user names of all
    registered users. This means that, starting on 2017-12-03, your user
    name will be visible to the general public. The user name is the
    account name you specified when registering, and it is the only
    information included in this list. Any other account information,
    such as your real name or your e-mail address, will not be
    retrievable through this new interface. However, note that some of
    that information might already be visible directly or indirectly in
    other parts of the AUR web interface, such as your public profile or
    content you submitted to the AUR.

    If you do not agree to this change, please delete your account by
    logging into the AUR web interface, going to your account details
    page and clicking the account deletion link before 2017-12-03. This
    account deletion is permanent and cannot be undone.

    Thanks for using the AUR!

    The Arch Linux Team

Changes since the initial draft:

* State more clearly that *only* the account name is included.
* Clarify that account deletion is permanent.
* Replace "AUR Development Team" by "Arch Linux Team".

I plan on sending the email on Sunday, 2017-11-05, which is exactly four
weeks before the scheduled release date.

Regards,
Lukas

Re: aurweb 4.6.0 release preparations (v2)

Eli Schwartz-2
On 11/03/2017 01:20 PM, Lukas Fleischer wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> Here is a second version, based on some feedback I received on the
> mailing lists and via private emails:
>
>     Dear AUR user,
>
>     The next aurweb release, which will be released on 2017-12-03,
>     includes a public interface to obtain a list of user names of all
>     registered users. This means that, starting on 2017-12-03, your user
>     name will be visible to the general public. The user name is the
>     account name you specified when registering, and it is the only
>     information included in this list. Any other account information,
>     such as your real name or your e-mail address, will not be
>     retrievable through this new interface. However, note that some of
>     that information might already be visible directly or indirectly in
>     other parts of the AUR web interface, such as your public profile or
>     content you submitted to the AUR.
This version looks a lot better, and also makes it more clear that the
information which is now available was often already available in other
parts of the public interface.

>     If you do not agree to this change, please delete your account by
>     logging into the AUR web interface, going to your account details
>     page and clicking the account deletion link before 2017-12-03. This
>     account deletion is permanent and cannot be undone.
>
>     Thanks for using the AUR!
>
>     The Arch Linux Team
>
> Changes since the initial draft:
>
> * State more clearly that *only* the account name is included.
> * Clarify that account deletion is permanent.
> * Replace "AUR Development Team" by "Arch Linux Team".
>
> I plan on sending the email on Sunday, 2017-11-05, which is exactly four
> weeks before the scheduled release date.
Hmm, nice! Can't wait for that markdown support. :D