[devtools] Rebasing devtools32 to contribute upstream

[devtools] Rebasing devtools32 to contribute upstream

Luke Shumaker-2
Hi all,

As the maintainer of Parabola's devtools, I know that with a merging
workflow, it can be a huge pain to rebase out changes to have patchset
that you can contribute upstream.

If any of the Arch Linux 32 team ever decide that you want to
contribute changes from devtools32 into upstream devtools, I expect
that you will find the "lukeshu/rebase/archlinux32" branch of
https://git.parabola.nu/packages/devtools-par.git/ to be useful.  It
is simply devtools32's "master" branch, rebased so that it looks like
it used a rebasing workflow instead of a merging workflow.

I'll generally keep it up-to-date as I keep an eye out for anything
that I might want to backport into Parabola.  (And indeed, there's
already one such change
https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-projects/2018-January/004704.html )

--
Happy hacking,
~ Luke Shumaker

Re: [devtools] Rebasing devtools32 to contribute upstream

Erich Eckner
Hi Luke,

yeah, sure, we/I can switch to a rebasing workflow. Thanks for the
suggestion. In retrospect, I have no Idea anymore, why I started with a
merging workflow :-/

Cheers,
Erich

On 15.01.2018 18:24, Luke Shumaker wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> As the maintainer of Parabola's devtools, I know that with a merging
> workflow, it can be a huge pain to rebase out changes to have patchset
> that you can contribute upstream.
>
> If any of the Arch Linux 32 team ever decide that you want to
> contribute changes from devtools32 into upstream devtools, I expect
> that you will find the "lukeshu/rebase/archlinux32" branch of
> https://git.parabola.nu/packages/devtools-par.git/ to be useful.  It
> is simply devtools32's "master" branch, rebased so that it looks like
> it used a rebasing workflow instead of a merging workflow.
>
> I'll generally keep it up-to-date as I keep an eye out for anything
> that I might want to backport into Parabola.  (And indeed, there's
> already one such change
> https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-projects/2018-January/004704.html )

Re: [devtools] Rebasing devtools32 to contribute upstream

Luke Shumaker-2
On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 02:51:29 -0500,
Erich Eckner wrote:
> Hi Luke,
>
> yeah, sure, we/I can switch to a rebasing workflow. Thanks for the
> suggestion. In retrospect, I have no Idea anymore, why I started with a
> merging workflow :-/

There are real advantages to the merging workflow.  If it works well
for you, keep using it!  The biggest downside is that pulling out
patchsets to send upstream is hard.  Depending on how close you want
to stay to upstream, it may never be an issue.  And if it is, my
rebased version will always be there to help a bit.  No need to switch
to rebasing on my account.

--
Happy hacking,
~ Luke Shumaker