dual-iso

Erich Eckner
Hi i686-fans,

to not loose any potential new i686-users, I moved on by forking archiso
and generating a current dual-bootable iso. Currently it resides at
https://eckner.net/archlinux-2017.03.25-dual.iso, but maybe somewhen in
the future we can move it to some more official place ;-)
The source of archiso32 resides at github: github.com/archlinux32/archiso32.

I stumbled upon one question:
Is it desirable to have the iso dual bootable (i686 and x86_64) or do we
want a solely i686-iso?
The benefit of a i686-only-iso would be, that it'd fit on a cd. The
benefit of a dual-bootable one would be, that we could use archiso32 as
it is right now and that you can boot any machine (32 or 64 bits) with
this - obviously.
Any comments are appreciated.

regards,
Erich

Re: dual-iso

arch-ports mailing list
... I fear there is a typo in you link, the "," is included.
To you question:Hard to decide. Since we need i686 to boot with older machines, I would go for an iso that fits on a cd ...I could live to have two burnt images/cds for install/ emergency cases.
Many thanks and kind regardsBernd

Re: dual-iso

Alex Theotokatos
On 03/25/2017 12:36 PM, Erich Eckner wrote:

> Hi i686-fans,
>
> to not loose any potential new i686-users, I moved on by forking archiso
> and generating a current dual-bootable iso. Currently it resides at
> https://eckner.net/archlinux-2017.03.25-dual.iso, but maybe somewhen in
> the future we can move it to some more official place ;-)
> The source of archiso32 resides at github: github.com/archlinux32/archiso32.
>
> I stumbled upon one question:
> Is it desirable to have the iso dual bootable (i686 and x86_64) or do we
> want a solely i686-iso?
> The benefit of a i686-only-iso would be, that it'd fit on a cd. The
> benefit of a dual-bootable one would be, that we could use archiso32 as
> it is right now and that you can boot any machine (32 or 64 bits) with
> this - obviously.
> Any comments are appreciated.
>
> regards,
> Erich
I think it is better to add the link at http://archlinux32.org/
And I'll prefer the dual architecture but many old computers doesn't
boot from usb and burning dvd for ~800mb sounds like wasting a dvd disk.
Maybe a dual netboot might me an option.

Re: dual-iso

Tomislav Butkovic
There are people who havent purchased x86_64 systems yet, so i686 only iso
that fits on cd is appealing. If we wanted x86_64 iso we could just go to
archlinux.org, right?

Ive been running arch on an acer O751h since 2013. The wiki documentation
has always been a crucial part to learning the distro. I hope that
continues w the port.

Tom

Le samedi 25 mars 2017, Alex Theotokatos <[hidden email]> a écrit :
> On 03/25/2017 12:36 PM, Erich Eckner wrote:
>>
>> Hi i686-fans,
>>
>> to not loose any potential new i686-users, I moved on by forking archiso
>> and generating a current dual-bootable iso. Currently it resides at
>> https://eckner.net/archlinux-2017.03.25-dual.iso, but maybe somewhen in
>> the future we can move it to some more official place ;-)
>> The source of archiso32 resides at github:
github.com/archlinux32/archiso32.

>> I stumbled upon one question:
>> Is it desirable to have the iso dual bootable (i686 and x86_64) or do we
>> want a solely i686-iso?
>> The benefit of a i686-only-iso would be, that it'd fit on a cd. The
>> benefit of a dual-bootable one would be, that we could use archiso32 as
>> it is right now and that you can boot any machine (32 or 64 bits) with
>> this - obviously.
>> Any comments are appreciated.
>>
>> regards,
>> Erich
>
> I think it is better to add the link at http://archlinux32.org/
> And I'll prefer the dual architecture but many old computers doesn't boot
from usb and burning dvd for ~800mb sounds like wasting a dvd disk.
> Maybe a dual netboot might me an option.

Re: dual-iso

Erich Eckner
Hi,

ok, so I think, the i686-only version is the way to go. I uploaded a
first test to mirror.archlinux32.org/archisos/

If you find any bugs, just let me know (frankly, I didn't test these
isos, because I dont have time right now).

Because, I personally like to have one rescue thumb drive for both i686
and x86_64, I try to keep the dual-bootable iso up to date, too. But if
it needs to much time, I might drop that.

Cheers,
Erich

On 25.03.2017 15:24, Tomislav Butkovic wrote:

> There are people who havent purchased x86_64 systems yet, so i686 only iso
> that fits on cd is appealing. If we wanted x86_64 iso we could just go to
> archlinux.org, right?
>
> Ive been running arch on an acer O751h since 2013. The wiki documentation
> has always been a crucial part to learning the distro. I hope that
> continues w the port.
>
> Tom
>
> Le samedi 25 mars 2017, Alex Theotokatos <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>> On 03/25/2017 12:36 PM, Erich Eckner wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi i686-fans,
>>>
>>> to not loose any potential new i686-users, I moved on by forking archiso
>>> and generating a current dual-bootable iso. Currently it resides at
>>> https://eckner.net/archlinux-2017.03.25-dual.iso, but maybe somewhen in
>>> the future we can move it to some more official place ;-)
>>> The source of archiso32 resides at github:
> github.com/archlinux32/archiso32.
>>>
>>> I stumbled upon one question:
>>> Is it desirable to have the iso dual bootable (i686 and x86_64) or do we
>>> want a solely i686-iso?
>>> The benefit of a i686-only-iso would be, that it'd fit on a cd. The
>>> benefit of a dual-bootable one would be, that we could use archiso32 as
>>> it is right now and that you can boot any machine (32 or 64 bits) with
>>> this - obviously.
>>> Any comments are appreciated.
>>>
>>> regards,
>>> Erich
>>
>> I think it is better to add the link at http://archlinux32.org/
>> And I'll prefer the dual architecture but many old computers doesn't boot
> from usb and burning dvd for ~800mb sounds like wasting a dvd disk.
>> Maybe a dual netboot might me an option.

Re: dual-iso

Andreas Baumann
On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 09:34:26PM +0200, Erich Eckner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> ok, so I think, the i686-only version is the way to go. I uploaded a
> first test to mirror.archlinux32.org/archisos/
>
> If you find any bugs, just let me know (frankly, I didn't test these
> isos, because I dont have time right now).

Hi,

I tried archlinux-2017.03.28-i686.iso and I get:

"
ISOLINUX 6.03 6.03* ETCD Copyright (C) 1995-2014 H. Peter Anvin et al
No DEFAULT or UI onfiguration directive found!
boot:
"

I tried to boot in libvirt on an Archlinux machine and a real machine
with Intel Pentium III, ASUS P2B-S.

I'm trying to find out what the problem might be.. any hints are
welcome. :-)

BTW: I can contribute to the project by testing: I have the following
hardware I plan to keep for a while:

ASUS EEEPC 701
QNAP TS-439 PRO
HP ProLiant DL140 G1