gscan2pdf - could it be included in the official arch repositories?

gscan2pdf - could it be included in the official arch repositories?

arch general mailing list-2
Hello!

I would like to ask if the program gscan2pdf could be included in the
official arch repositories.
In particular also for all necessary perl dependencies to work

For me and many other people it is a very important office program.
(179 votes)
With it we can scan all letters and documents easily for archiving with
gscan2pdf.

In the AUR, there have been some problems since the packages are
outdated.
And since I regard as important, I want to ask if it is feasibl to
included gscan2pdf in the official repositories. There are currently no
alternatives.

best regards
Stephan Fuchs

Re: gscan2pdf - could it be included in the official arch repositories?

LoneVVolf
On 25-09-17 17:15, Stephan Fuchs via arch-general wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I would like to ask if the program gscan2pdf could be included in the
> official arch repositories.
> There are currently no
> alternatives.
>
> best regards
> Stephan Fuchs

Hi,

[community] repo has 3 programs that could be an alternative :

simple-scan (gtk3)
scanlite (requires some kde libraries)
gambas3-gb-scanner (a frontend for scanimage command, written in the
programming language gambas3 )

What functionality does gscan2pdf bring that none of 3 alternatives  have ?

LVV

Re: gscan2pdf - could it be included in the official arch repositories?

Am Dienstag, den 26.09.2017, 12:00 +0000 schrieb arch-general-request@a
rchlinux.org:

> On 25-09-17 17:15, Stephan Fuchs via arch-general wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > I would like to ask if the program gscan2pdf could be included in
> > the
> > official arch repositories.
> > There are currently no
> > alternatives.
> >
> > best regards
> > Stephan Fuchs
> >

> Hi,
>
> [community] repo has 3 programs that could be an alternative :
>
> simple-scan (gtk3)
> scanlite (requires some kde libraries)
> gambas3-gb-scanner (a frontend for scanimage command, written in the
> programming language gambas3 )
>
> What functionality does gscan2pdf bring that none of 3 alternatives
> have ?
>
> LVV

Hi.

With all programs above I can scan - right.
I can also make an PDF of the scan.

With gscan2pdf I can scan many pages at once (fledbed scanner or ADF)
and convert all pages directly to PDF. In addition, OCR is performed.
And a pdf is generated with the text from OCR as hocr layer.
The special feature is that a searchable PDF can be created at once.
As far as I know it is not possible with simple-scan nor with
scanlite nor with gambas3-gb-scanner.
The special thing is that I can correct then OCR Text directly before I
save the file.
And a few other things that simplify the work.

It is not just another scan program.
It is the only program I know what allows archiving in this way.
best regards
Stephan

Re: gscan2pdf - could it be included in the official arch repositories?

David C. Rankin
On 10/01/2017 08:18 AM, Stephan Fuchs via arch-general wrote:
> With gscan2pdf I can scan many pages at once (fledbed scanner or ADF)
> and convert all pages directly to PDF. In addition, OCR is performed.
> And a pdf is generated with the text from OCR as hocr layer.
> The special feature is that a searchable PDF can be created at once.
> As far as I know it is not possible with simple-scan nor with
> scanlite nor with gambas3-gb-scanner.
> The special thing is that I can correct then OCR Text directly before I
> save the file.

Those are some of the most needed core capabilities of any serious document
management system. To it's credit, is appears to be very actively developed on
sourceforge.

David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.

Re: gscan2pdf - could it be included in the official arch repositories?

arch general mailing list-2
I can vouch for it too. I have to scan all the mail at work and before
we got a printer that scanned to FTP I went through loads and loads of
options trying to find some suitable scanning software.

Eventually I settled on gscan2pdf because it seemed to be one of the
few that could reliably make multi-page PDFs.