gtk-sharp-2 conflicts with gtk#

arch general mailing list-2
I was doing some packing parsing and my parser failed to parse
gtk-sharp-2 from extra. Turns out it's because gtk-sharp-2 conflicts
with gtk# and my parser refuses to parse it because of man PKGBUILD
stating:

           PKGNAME: Valid characters for members
           of this array are alphanumerics, and any of the following
characters: “@ . _ + -”. Additionally,
           names are not allowed to start with hyphens or dots.

Now that's for pgkname but I assume that would extend to conflicts and
provides or am I mistaken?

I'm guessing gtk# used to be a package before those rules were defined
and has since been removed. If that's the case I realise that the
conflict needs to be there for people who still have gtk# installed.
But then again you now have a package in your repos have break your
own standards.

I don't know if its a good idea to remove that conflict, that's up to
the devs. Would just like to know what you think before i go and patch
the parser to allow '#'.

Re: gtk-sharp-2 conflicts with gtk#

arch general mailing list-2
On 03/21/2018 11:31 PM, Morgan Adamiec via arch-general wrote:

> I was doing some packing parsing and my parser failed to parse
> gtk-sharp-2 from extra. Turns out it's because gtk-sharp-2 conflicts
> with gtk# and my parser refuses to parse it because of man PKGBUILD
> stating:
>
>            PKGNAME: Valid characters for members
>            of this array are alphanumerics, and any of the following
> characters: “@ . _ + -”. Additionally,
>            names are not allowed to start with hyphens or dots.
>
> Now that's for pgkname but I assume that would extend to conflicts and
> provides or am I mistaken?
Conflicts/provides should be linted just like pkgname (but this is *not*
enforced in code).

Note that pacman will accept many things that makepkg does not,
nevertheless makepkg *will* complain with:

==> ERROR: pkgname contains invalid characters: '#'

> I'm guessing gtk# used to be a package before those rules were defined
> and has since been removed. If that's the case I realise that the
> conflict needs to be there for people who still have gtk# installed.
> But then again you now have a package in your repos have break your
> own standards.
>
> I don't know if its a good idea to remove that conflict, that's up to
> the devs. Would just like to know what you think before i go and patch
> the parser to allow '#'.

That has been there since 2008, I don't think it qualifies as a specific
decision. :p

I would say, your tool should correctly detect something wonky with that
package.

Ideally I think I would like to implement
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/57833 which would mean gtk-sharp-2 would
fail to compile with the next pkgver bump until that conflicts was
removed. ;)

On 03/21/2018 11:42 PM, Eli Schwartz wrote:

> On 03/21/2018 11:31 PM, Morgan Adamiec via arch-general wrote:
>> I was doing some packing parsing and my parser failed to parse
>> gtk-sharp-2 from extra. Turns out it's because gtk-sharp-2 conflicts
>> with gtk# and my parser refuses to parse it because of man PKGBUILD
>> stating:
>>
>>            PKGNAME: Valid characters for members
>>            of this array are alphanumerics, and any of the following
>> characters: “@ . _ + -”. Additionally,
>>            names are not allowed to start with hyphens or dots.
>>
>> Now that's for pgkname but I assume that would extend to conflicts and
>> provides or am I mistaken?
>
> Conflicts/provides should be linted just like pkgname (but this is *not*
> enforced in code).
>
> Note that pacman will accept many things that makepkg does not,
> nevertheless makepkg *will* complain with:
>
> ==> ERROR: pkgname contains invalid characters: '#'
>
>> I'm guessing gtk# used to be a package before those rules were defined
>> and has since been removed. If that's the case I realise that the
>> conflict needs to be there for people who still have gtk# installed.
>> But then again you now have a package in your repos have break your
>> own standards.
>>
>> I don't know if its a good idea to remove that conflict, that's up to
>> the devs. Would just like to know what you think before i go and patch
>> the parser to allow '#'.
>
> That has been there since 2008, I don't think it qualifies as a specific
> decision. :p
>
> I would say, your tool should correctly detect something wonky with that
> package.
>
> Ideally I think I would like to implement
> https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/57833 which would mean gtk-sharp-2 would
> fail to compile with the next pkgver bump until that conflicts was
> removed. ;)
Just noticed you're the one who started that other thread. ;) Check out
my patch...

On Thu, 2018-03-22 at 09:16 -0400, Eli Schwartz via arch-general wrote:

> On 03/21/2018 11:42 PM, Eli Schwartz wrote:
> > On 03/21/2018 11:31 PM, Morgan Adamiec via arch-general wrote:
> > > I was doing some packing parsing and my parser failed to parse
> > > gtk-sharp-2 from extra. Turns out it's because gtk-sharp-2
> > > conflicts
> > > with gtk# and my parser refuses to parse it because of man
> > > PKGBUILD
> > > stating:
> > >
> > >            PKGNAME: Valid characters for members
> > >            of this array are alphanumerics, and any of the
> > > following
> > > characters: “@ . _ + -”. Additionally,
> > >            names are not allowed to start with hyphens or dots.
> > >
> > > Now that's for pgkname but I assume that would extend to
> > > conflicts and
> > > provides or am I mistaken?
> >
> > Conflicts/provides should be linted just like pkgname (but this is
> > *not*
> > enforced in code).
> >
> > Note that pacman will accept many things that makepkg does not,
> > nevertheless makepkg *will* complain with:
> >
> > ==> ERROR: pkgname contains invalid characters: '#'
> >
> > > I'm guessing gtk# used to be a package before those rules were
> > > defined
> > > and has since been removed. If that's the case I realise that the
> > > conflict needs to be there for people who still have gtk#
> > > installed.
> > > But then again you now have a package in your repos have break
> > > your
> > > own standards.
> > >
> > > I don't know if its a good idea to remove that conflict, that's
> > > up to
> > > the devs. Would just lfike to know what you think before i go and
> > > patch
> > > the parser to allow '#'.
> >
> > That has been there since 2008, I don't think it qualifies as a
> > specific
> > decision. :p
> >
> > I would say, your tool should correctly detect something wonky with
> > that
> > package.
> >
> > Ideally I think I would like to implement
> > https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/57833 which would mean gtk-sharp-2
> > would
> > fail to compile with the next pkgver bump until that conflicts was
> > removed. ;)
>
> Just noticed you're the one who started that other thread. ;) Check
> out
> my patch...

Yep, so glad to see someone who knows what they are doing getting this
done. :)

Also if this is going through then "conflicts=(gtk#)" is going to
refuse to build. It would be easy to fix this now, no need to wait for
makepkg to tell you.