i686 Arch port

Polichronucci
Hello everyone,
  just joined the list. I don't currently use Arch on a i636 system but
I definitely understand the need for support. I don't have a lot of
experience with maintaining packages and definitely can't keep the whole
thing on my own.

We could start by creating an organisation on GitHub or any other git
platform so we can maintain the PKGBUILDs as ArchLinuxARM is doing [1].
We also would need computational power to compile the packages, a server
to act as a repo and a server for the web-site.

What I surely can offer is several VPSs in Greece to act as the main
web-site and as the repository server.

[1] - https://github.com/archlinuxarm

Polichronucci
GPG: 0x7E8A06A6C80574E4

Re: i686 Arch port

Félix
Hello list,

Le 29 janv. 2017 à 18:35, Nick Koskinas <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> We could start by creating an organisation on GitHub or any other git
> platform so we can maintain the PKGBUILDs as ArchLinuxARM is doing [1].
> We also would need computational power to compile the packages, a server
> to act as a repo and a server for the web-site.

I absolutely don't know how everything will be organized, but maybe it would be
simpler to maintain a set of patches relative to Arch dev's PKGBUILDs ?

By the way, if it can help, I can offer several self-hosted i686 machines.

I still don't see if this will be closer to a fork of Arch or a semi-official
community-maintained branch of Arch. Could an Arch dev clarify this point ?

----
Félix Faisant - PGP : ce67 00ae c4c3 2446 032c f89a 4e4f a7af f464 8355

Re: i686 Arch port

Bruno Pagani-2
Hello there,

Le 29/01/2017 à 21:06, Félix a écrit :

> Hello list,
>
> Le 29 janv. 2017 à 18:35, Nick Koskinas <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
>> We could start by creating an organisation on GitHub or any other git
>> platform so we can maintain the PKGBUILDs as ArchLinuxARM is doing [1].
>> We also would need computational power to compile the packages, a server
>> to act as a repo and a server for the web-site.
> I absolutely don't know how everything will be organized, but maybe it would be
> simpler to maintain a set of patches relative to Arch dev's PKGBUILDs ?
>
> By the way, if it can help, I can offer several self-hosted i686 machines.
>
> I still don't see if this will be closer to a fork of Arch or a semi-official
> community-maintained branch of Arch. Could an Arch dev clarify this point ?
Not a dev, so this might not be perfectly accurate, but I think the plan
was to have the community write the tools (under devs mentorship) needed
to automate building and packaging of software for i686 and then publish
them in a main repo copy targeting only i686, while still having it in
the current web interface, only stating i686 as a community supported
architecture (as opposed to x86_64 remaining then the only supported
architecture).

I think that some devs should be joining the discussion here soon, they
were at least two interested in mentoring the project.

Cheers,
Bruno