ppc/i686 repo comparison CGI script

Anders Bergh
Hey everyone,

I wrote up a script to compare the i686 and ppc repos. Mirrors used
are ftp.gigabit.nu and ftp.archlinuxppc.org. It's just a prototype,
I'll make it cleaner and perhaps add some kind of javascript junk to
it (sort columns, etc).

http://andersman.org/ppc/compare.cgi

Anders

Re: ppc/i686 repo comparison CGI script

Alexander Baldeck
Anders Bergh wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>
> I wrote up a script to compare the i686 and ppc repos. Mirrors used
> are ftp.gigabit.nu and ftp.archlinuxppc.org. It's just a prototype,
> I'll make it cleaner and perhaps add some kind of javascript junk to
> it (sort columns, etc).
>
> http://andersman.org/ppc/compare.cgi
>
> Anders

That's pretty cool and helps a lot. Is it dynamically generated by
analyzing the db.tar.gz on the mentioned ftp archives? If so, it's
pretty nifty and fast. :)

One thing I'd like to point out though:
There's quite a few packages that the ppc port lacks in extra
especially. We are aware of this and would like to change it but right
now have no definite plans of when to achieve this. We're simply not
enough developers to reliably maintain such an amount of packages. So we
stick with what we have an maintain it well for now.

The upside of this is that most of the basic packages are there, so
pulling a PKGBUILD from x86 to build it on ppc shouldn't never be a big
hassle.

Cheers,

Alex

Bob Update

zbrown
Hey all developers,

Well after a hectic semester of not being able to get NAT working properly on
Leopard Server, family deaths (my own family), and school I've still not gotten
anything with Bob going.

At this point I am toying with temporarily setting Bob up elsewhere but that
location remains to be determined.

Sorry for all this trouble, it would just seem that our "upgrade" to Leopard
(which seems more like a downgrade) has pretty much put Bob at full stop.

-Zac

Re: Bob Update

Kristian Klette via RT
I've been out of the arch-ports-world for a while, so what is BOB's
responsibilities? Build-bot?

I have a Powerbook G4 with a gig of ram i could put on a 100Mbit connection
here in Trondheim (Norway) if it would help. Its just laying around gathering
dust anyway :)

- Klette

--
Mvh
Kristian Klette

Re: Bob Update

zbrown
Hi Klette:

Pretty much Bob was the build machine for about 5 months til the lab I work in
upgraded to Mac OS X Leopard for the routing machine. Since then I've had a
helluva time getting NAT + port forwarding working so Bob's connection future
remains a mystery til I figure out whats going on.

A build machine like that would be helpful :). See what Armin and Alex say, I
think we'd all be happy. I haven't been able to build at all since Bob went
down. Mainly because I have no where to set him up to work by myself.

-Zac

Kristian Klette wrote:
> I've been out of the arch-ports-world for a while, so what is BOB's
> responsibilities? Build-bot?
>
> I have a Powerbook G4 with a gig of ram i could put on a 100Mbit connection
> here in Trondheim (Norway) if it would help. Its just laying around gathering
> dust anyway :)
>
> - Klette

Re: Bob Update

Armin Luntzer-2
Sounds great, it would be valuable for building big stuff that takes
long to build and needs a lot of memory for linking like
gcc/openoffice :)

Alex?

- Armin

Am Dienstag, den 06.05.2008, 12:35 +0200 schrieb Kristian Klette:
> I have a Powerbook G4 with a gig of ram i could put on a 100Mbit connection
> here in Trondheim (Norway) if it would help. Its just laying around gathering
> dust anyway :)
>
> - Klette

Re: Bob Update

Alexander Baldeck
Armin Luntzer wrote:
> Sounds great, it would be valuable for building big stuff that takes
> long to build and needs a lot of memory for linking like
> gcc/openoffice :)
>
> Alex?

Things like GCC and usual dillema are already pretty much figured out. I
just do it in a tripple cluster of my Ps3, the mini sitting on my desk
sponsored by Armin and my - bah, hate it - x86 laptop. What really would
be nice to have is a ppc with this amount of ram. Also being on a
100mbit upstream is sure not bad.

@Kristian:
If you're serious about this, please don't hesitate to drop me a line
and we'll help setting it up. We don't have a build bot so far but I'm
currently not far away of automating a CI which although would pretty
much break everybody's workflow. ;)

Would be nice to give it a shot for OpenOffice and Icedtea especially.
Other than that automated rebuilds could be well done on that machine. :)

Cheers,

Alex

On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 1:44 PM, Alexander Baldeck <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  That's pretty cool and helps a lot. Is it dynamically generated by
>  analyzing the db.tar.gz on the mentioned ftp archives? If so, it's
>  pretty nifty and fast. :)

It downloads the core and extra db.tar.gz's from archlinuxppc.org and
ftp.gigabit.nu for i686 and ppc. I think the original script I linked
to here actually read all of those files on every page hit, but I've
updated it on my laptop so it reads from a ~1.4 MB Lua array instead
(which it does very quickly, amazingly enough).

I'm trying to think of ways to improve this to become a bit more
useful, like adding dynamic filters ("exclude missing packages from
extra") and such. If anyone here would like some kind of feature
related to scanning the DB's, I'm all ears :)

>  One thing I'd like to point out though:
>  There's quite a few packages that the ppc port lacks in extra
>  especially. We are aware of this and would like to change it but right
>  now have no definite plans of when to achieve this. We're simply not
>  enough developers to reliably maintain such an amount of packages. So we
>  stick with what we have an maintain it well for now.
>
>  The upside of this is that most of the basic packages are there, so
>  pulling a PKGBUILD from x86 to build it on ppc shouldn't never be a big
>  hassle.
>
>  Cheers,
>
>  Alex

Anders