"undefined symbol: pg_encoding_to_char" when initializing postgresql db

"undefined symbol: pg_encoding_to_char" when initializing postgresql db

Lars Geuer
Hi,
I recently installed postgresql, but when I try to set up a database I get this:

bash-3.2$ initdb -D /var/lib/postgres/data/
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "postgres".

The database cluster will be initialized with locales
  COLLATE:  C
  CTYPE:    de_DE.utf8
  MESSAGES: de_DE.utf8
  MONETARY: de_DE.utf8
  NUMERIC:  de_DE.utf8
  TIME:     de_DE.utf8
initdb: symbol lookup error: initdb: undefined symbol: pg_encoding_to_char

I couldn't find anything about this issue in the arch forum nor elsewhere in the web. Does anyone know this problem and how to solve it?

Thanks for your help
lars

Re: "undefined symbol: pg_encoding_to_char" when initializing postgresql db

Vladimir Koshelenko
I really do not know what it is, but have you tried this:

> bash-3.2$ initdb -D /var/lib/postgres/data/

Don't do this. Scrips /etc/rc.d/postgresql tries to setup cluster in first
run.
Now, delete /var/lib/postgresql

> initdb: symbol lookup error: initdb: undefined symbol: pg_encoding_to_char

Did you have latest versions of postgresql? Make 'bash# pacman -Syu' or at
least 'bash# pacman -Sy postgresql postgresql-libs'

Did you have at least locales:
en_US.UTF-8, en_US, de_DE.UTF-8, de_DE, de_DE@euro ?
If not, uncomment them in /etc/locale.gen and command 'bash# locale-gen'

Then, under root account, make 'bash# /etc/rc.d/postgresql start'

If nothing helps, try to init cluster in en_US.UTF-8 locale:
bash# su postgres
bash$ export LANG=en_US.UTF8
bash$ initdb -D /var/lib/postgres/data/