saving AUR history (Re: TU Application: Thore Bödecker)

saving AUR history (Re: TU Application: Thore Bödecker)

tur-users mailing list
On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 5:02 AM, Yardena Cohen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 4:49 AM, Thore Boedecker via aur-general
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> To make all these parts easily and comfortably available to all
>> Arch Linux users I would like to move these few packages to [community]
>> (if Yardena Cohen a.k.a. yar agrees for amavisd-new).
>
> That's very polite of you, and once you're a TU you're welcome to take
> it over, but generally you don't need to ask permission. TUs have
> taken my packages before, and that's just how it is. :)

So, I just noticed that you took over my two packages: amavisd-new and
perl-convert-uulib. Which is fine. But I also noticed that instead of
preserving their git repo histories, you just started a new repo with
the first commit called "import from AUR":

https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/community.git/log/trunk?h=packages/amavisd-new
https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/community.git/log/trunk?h=packages/perl-convert-uulib

I'm curious, other than my local backup, is this history now gone for good?

Re: saving AUR history (Re: TU Application: Thore Bödecker)

tur-users mailing list
On 06/05/2017 01:41 PM, Yardena Cohen via aur-general wrote:
> So, I just noticed that you took over my two packages: amavisd-new and
> perl-convert-uulib. Which is fine. But I also noticed that instead of
> preserving their git repo histories, you just started a new repo with
> the first commit called "import from AUR":
>
> https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/community.git/log/trunk?h=packages/amavisd-new
> https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/community.git/log/trunk?h=packages/perl-convert-uulib
>
> I'm curious, other than my local backup, is this history now gone for good?

The AUR does not delete history, ever. You can still clone the repo, but
deleting it from the AUR caused the
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/$pkgname listing to be unlinked, all
comments to be purged from the database, and the package itself to be
added to the list of repo packages (otherwise known as the AUR
blacklist) which cannot be pushed to.

As for the svntogit history, repo packages are kept in SVN, and there is
no practical way to import an AUR git repo even if you wanted to. :)

Den 05-06-2017 kl. 20:41 skrev Yardena Cohen via aur-general:
> So, I just noticed that you took over my two packages: amavisd-new and
> perl-convert-uulib. Which is fine. But I also noticed that instead of
> preserving their git repo histories, you just started a new repo with
> the first commit called "import from AUR":
>
> https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/community.git/log/trunk?h=packages/amavisd-new
> https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/community.git/log/trunk?h=packages/perl-convert-uulib
>
> I'm curious, other than my local backup, is this history now gone for good?

Old AUR packages are preserved indefinitely. The history of the two
packages you mention are still in AUR's git:

https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/log/?h=amavisd-new
https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/log/?h=perl-convert-uulib

(That said, I really like keeping the history together, so I'd vote for
preserving AUR history when import to "real" Arch repositories, if at
all possible...)

--
Namasté,
Frederik “Freso” S. Olesen <https://freso.dk/>

Re: saving AUR history (Re: TU Application: Thore Bödecker)

Some small additions:

As Eli mentioned, nothing is deleted.
The read-only git access for amavisd-new can be found here:
git clone https://aur.archlinux.org/amavisd-new.git

Also, these deleted AUR packages can be restored through SSH, i.e.:
ssh [hidden email] restore <name>
which will reverse the deletion, preserving the git history.

Cheers,
Thore

Le 05/06/2017 à 20:46, Frederik “Freso” S. Olesen via aur-general a écrit :

> (That said, I really like keeping the history together, so I'd vote for
> preserving AUR history when import to "real" Arch repositories, if at
> all possible...)

We all do. But as other pointed out, Arch repo are backed by SVN
currently, so this is not possible. Switching to Git is planned, but
will take some time. We might even be able to backport AUR history of
packages moved to [community] depending on how the switch will work.

Cheers,
Bruno