systemd fails to set console font

pants
Hello,

systemd is not setting my console font.  The following is the only
relevant config I could think of:

/etc/vconsole.conf :
> KEYMAP=dvorak
> FONT=ohsnap6x11r

Using the command
> setfont ohsnap6x11r
works perfectly to change the font to that desired.

Cheers,

pants.

Re: systemd fails to set console font

Thanos Zygouris-2

Did you try to put dvorak and ohsnap6x11r withing double quotes?
I have FONT="ter-v16b" set in /etc/vconsole.conf and works fine.

Re: systemd fails to set console font

pants
> Did you try to put dvorak and ohsnap6x11r withing double quotes?
> I have FONT="ter-v16b" set in /etc/vconsole.conf and works fine.

I just tried that, to no avail.

pants.

Re: systemd fails to set console font

Tom Gundersen
On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 9:44 PM, pants <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Did you try to put dvorak and ohsnap6x11r withing double quotes?
>> I have FONT="ter-v16b" set in /etc/vconsole.conf and works fine.
>
> I just tried that, to no avail.

This is a known problem, and I don't have a good general solution. The
problem is (I think), that your font is set before your graphics
driver has been loaded, and once the graphics driver has been loaded
the settings are lost.

Essentially what needs to happen is that
systemd-vconsole-setup.service must be run after the graphics driver
has been loaded.

Three ways to do this:

1) put your graphics driver in MODULES in mkinitcpio.conf.
2) put your graphics driver in /etc/modules-load.d/graphics.conf and
order systemd-vconsole-setup.service After
systemd-modules-load.service.
3) order systemd-vconsole-setup.service After and Wants
systemd-udev-settle.service.

Option 2) probably is the best as it has the least impact on boot
speed (I guess).

-t

Re: systemd fails to set console font

pants
> 2) put your graphics driver in /etc/modules-load.d/graphics.conf and
> order systemd-vconsole-setup.service After
> systemd-modules-load.service.

Excuse my ignorance, but how does one order the loading of units at
boot?

pants.

Re: systemd fails to set console font

mjheagle8
On 07/11/12 at 06:03pm, pants wrote:
> > 2) put your graphics driver in /etc/modules-load.d/graphics.conf and
> > order systemd-vconsole-setup.service After
> > systemd-modules-load.service.
>
> Excuse my ignorance, but how does one order the loading of units at
> boot?
>
> pants.

look into Before, After, and Wants in 'man systemd.units'

--
mjheagle