virtualbox-modules-lts?

David Rosenstrauch
I see there's a virtualbox-modules package, but that's for the mainline
(3.2 series) kernel.  I don't see a similar package for the LTS (3.0
series) kernel.  Does one exist somewhere that I'm missing it?  If not,
how does one use virtualbox on Arch with the LTS kernel?  Do we need to
build the kernel module from source by hand?

Thanks,

DR

Re: virtualbox-modules-lts?

Jarek Sedlacek
Hey,

You can install them from source, but there are existing tools to do so.
Install the virtualbox-source package, then run "vboxbuild" as root to
build the modules. They can then be loaded with "modprobe vboxdrv"

Thanks,
Jarek Sedlacek

On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 7:19 PM, David Rosenstrauch <[hidden email]>wrote:

> I see there's a virtualbox-modules package, but that's for the mainline
> (3.2 series) kernel.  I don't see a similar package for the LTS (3.0
> series) kernel.  Does one exist somewhere that I'm missing it?  If not,
> how does one use virtualbox on Arch with the LTS kernel?  Do we need to
> build the kernel module from source by hand?
>
> Thanks,
>
> DR

Re: virtualbox-modules-lts?

Conner Lee
You could ask the package maintainer of he would be willing to maintain a
virtualbox-modules-lts package.

Re: virtualbox-modules-lts?

Ralf Mardorf
On Sat, 2012-03-10 at 23:23 -0500, Conner Lee wrote:
> You could ask the package maintainer of he would be willing to maintain a
> virtualbox-modules-lts package.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=archlinux+virtualbox

The first hit is the Wiki, it works without any disagreeableness:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/VirtualBox#Hosts_running_a_custom_kernel

It's not complicated, it's not time consuming.

I use Virtualbox with the default kernel and a kernel-rt.

Hth,
Ralf

Re: virtualbox-modules-lts?

attila123
Hi, I found this thread because I had the same problem.

So I tried to follow
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/VirtualBox#Hosts_running_a_custom_kernel
as Ralph suggested. But I am a n00b.
I tried the linux-lts kernel to solve my problem with Firefox being extremely unstable, and then could not kill -9 it (I still don't know whether it's related to the default arch linux kernel, or whether the virtualbox modules interfered). Anyway I installed the linux-lts and configured the /boot/grub/menu.lst for that, and it loaded successfully, and Firefox is now stable, but I missed the virtualbox integration (fullscreen, mousewheel, copy-paste bw. host and guest OS).
I did 'pacman -S virtualbox-source', and 'vboxbuild', and I could successfully 'modprobe vboxdrv', and I could add it to /etc/rc.conf MODULES section, and I verified that it loaded successfully (lsmod | grep vbox). But it the above mentioned features did not work. I also checked the /usr/bin/vboxbuild script to find out that it only builds vboxdrv, vboxnetadp, vboxnetflt, vboxpci. I found the result in the dir /lib/modules/3.0.27-1-lts/extramodules.
So what about vboxguest, vboxsf and vboxvideo modules, which were earlier installed by the virtualbox-archlinux-additions package (and I had to load them in /etc/rc.conf)? I even tried to remove and install that package again, but it does not help, I think it's just for the default Arch kernel of course.
How can I compile and install these modules (vboxguest, vboxsf and vboxvideo) or how can I make the virtualbox integration work properly?
I would really appreciate some help on this, thanks in advance.
/Attila

Re: virtualbox-modules-lts?

attila123
Hell, I just got enough of this and installed the virtualbox modules directly from the VBoxGuestAdditions.iso, which is mounted by virtualbox when you say that it should install the guest additions.
And now at least it works!
Based on
http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04.html#idp5801200

# pacman -S dkms
# pacman -R virtualbox-guest-additions
-> otherwise the next command would complain
# sh ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run

[root@myhost cdrom]# sh ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing VirtualBox 4.1.12 Guest Additions for Linux.........
VirtualBox Guest Additions installer
/etc/rc.d/functions: line 573: syntax error near unexpected token `<'
/etc/rc.d/functions: line 573: ` done < <(findmnt -mrunRo TARGET,FSTYPE,OPTIONS /)'
 Removing existing VirtualBox DKMS kernel modules                                            [DONE]
 Removing existing VirtualBox non-DKMS kernel modules                                        [DONE]
 Building the VirtualBox Guest Additions kernel modules                                      [DONE]
 Doing non-kernel setup of the Guest Additions                                               [DONE]
 Starting the VirtualBox Guest Additions                                                     [DONE]
/etc/rc.d/functions: line 573: syntax error near unexpected token `<'
/etc/rc.d/functions: line 573: ` done < <(findmnt -mrunRo TARGET,FSTYPE,OPTIONS /)'
 Installing the Window System drivers                                                        [BUSY]
 Installing X.Org Server 1.12 modules                                                        [DONE]
 Setting up the Window System to use the Guest Additions                                     [DONE]
You may need to restart the hal service and the Window System (or just restart
the guest system) to enable the Guest Additions.

 Installing graphics libraries and desktop services components                               [DONE]
[root@myhost cdrom]#

Not sure what's this with

/etc/rc.d/functions: line 573: syntax error near unexpected token `<'
/etc/rc.d/functions: line 573: ` done < <(findmnt -mrunRo TARGET,FSTYPE,OPTIONS /)'

but everything seems to work now.